Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Real Meaning of Lent

I think I am a like to almost all Catholics kids when it comes to Lent.  Growing up I practically hated Lent. I mean, what's fun about having to stop eating chocolate for 40 days? Or not getting to watch movies during the week?
Growing up I missed the point of Lent, and it's just now really hitting me.   In our morning prayers this week my dad said something to the effect of: "Lent is a time to clean up the clutter in your soul."  That blew my mind.  Maybe it was the way it was worded, or maybe I haven't really been listening at mass till now, but...Wow.  That is what Lent is supposed to be.

Focusing on this new definition all we have to do is rethink our past ideas of Lent, and we...I begin to realize that Lent should really be one of the best times of the year.
All the fasting, the ashes, the long holy week, all of this has a point!   St. Ambrose says that "All men are slaves to sin."   Just looking at my life day to day I can see where I have sinned in thought, word and deed. Each day we sin!  It's no wonder that God chose to have a special season in our Church to help us get right with them.


Praying that you all have an amazing lent.


No comments:

Post a Comment